From:
William B Ward <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 11 Feb 2003 10:27:33 -0500
Lesley,

In New Orleans, in a Federally-funded Healthy Start program, we were able
to get a significant increase in the % of women coming in in the first
trimester and were able to shift a good number of 3rd trimester 'first
visits' to second trimester. However, we had no effect on birth weights.
We did, however, see a dramatic drop in neonate deaths. We feel that that
might be the result of surfactant and other NICU interventions. My
personal feeling is that the package of prenatal interventions is too
ineffectual to have much of an impact. I believe that other Healthy Start
cities had similar results.

Bill Ward