From:
Liz Rykert <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 16 May 1996 23:40:34 -0400
 Further to the summary for click4hp....

I have had a number of positive comments on the summary from yesterday and
will attempt to do it again in a couple of weeks. I did one more observation
of the list tonight looking at the gender split.

I created three categories: Female, Male, and gender neutral (not to be
confused with neutered ;-) I placed subscribers in the neutral category when
the name was obviously neutral or I couldn't tell because of linguistic
ineptitude or it appeared as an organization.

The total number of subscribers as of May 16 was 349.

Here are the results:

female: 180     male: 142     neutral: 24     concealed: 3

I am curious if this reflects the split in the Health Promotion work force
generally. If someone has this data it would interesting to place it in
context. Also I think the most recent gender split data on the internet
generally is about 80% male - 20% female (correct me if I am wrong) which is
also an interesting comparison.

Since a number of people have indicated they are new users and a number of
error messages have occurred recently I thought I might share a few
tips/etiquette.

When responding consider - will the response further a broader discussion on
the list be sharing a resource others will be interested in or is it best
sent by email to the poster. When replying ensure you address the email to
the sender - a quick hit of the reply button will send it out to everyone.

When replying to the list quote only the portion of the message which refers
to the your reply. Clean up all other parts of the quoted message by
scrolling and deleting, being sure to remove the to: and from: lines if they
contain the Click4hp address. The software will have a hard time reading the
message and  reject it. This also keeps the message short and to the point.

Sign you messages with your name and email address and consider suppressing
signature files especially if they are long. Some email software strips the
email address of the sender and only shows the email as arriving from Click4hp.

Select your Subject headings carefully - this will advise the reader of the
content of your posting and assist them with organizing the message.

Cheers,
Liz Rykert