From:
Liz Rykert <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 19 Jun 1996 23:22:00 -0400
Topic Two: The Relationship between Literal and Virtual Communities - June 20-25

Although it feels a little fast I am going to carry on and start topic two.
I want to continue to encourage people to post their thoughts and insights
on Topic I:Establishing Electronic Workspaces and Communities. A summary of
this discussion will be posted sometime between now and Friday.

I am choosing to move on because I think the posting by Judy Quail was very
helpful, identifying the impact of the three points raised by Sam Lanfranco
and anchoring them in a health promotion context. Transparency,
Accountability, and Access may also be key components for us to consider as
we begin to discuss the relationship between literal and virtual workspaces
and communities. Other important issues have been raised and will be
reflected in the summary. Thanks you to all those who have contributed so far!

Now consider,
>The TRANSPARENCY comes in being able to get hold of lots of information, as
>much and sometimes more than your health care professional. As the barriers
>to obtaining medical knowledge decrease and knowledge dessiminates
>throughout the system from professional to consumer, there will be a need
>for.... what?
>
>ACCOUNTABILITY comes with this as people become more knowledgeable and have
>others to discuss things with it creates an information seeking environment.
>This puts more onus on the health care professional and system to be
>responsive and accountabile for what they are doing.
>
>Most importantly it creates the opportunity for COLLABORATION.  A health
>care consumer can assist the health care professional to become
>knowledgeable and can take part in decisions and in their health care process.

What are the key dynamics at play as we transform our work with the use of
the virtual space?

How do we feel this in our day-to-day interactions?

What kind of changes have you noted?

How do the concepts of transparency, accountability, and collaboration play
out in this/these relationship(s) between the virtual and the literal?

I look forward to your contributions in our continued effort to build
understanding and competence as individuals and organizations.

Liz Rykert <[log in to unmask]>