SDOH Archives

Social Determinants of Health

SDOH@YORKU.CA

From:
David Mercer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 26 Jan 2004 13:18:20 -0400
Greetings to all and congratulations to D. Raphael on the new list.

The Announcement!

The Nova Scotia Provincial Health Council has now completed work on the
Determinants of Health Indicator Project.
Beginning in October 2001, the Council began forming committees of
interested members of the public and experts from various fields to
develop 10-12 indicators for each of the Determinants. The indicators
agreed upon by the committees were communicated a series of reports. The
indicators were intended to provide the starting point for comprehensive
data collection in the areas of population health, social conditions and
measures of the effectiveness of health promotion initiatives, and to
illustrate the effects of the Determinants of Health on the Nova Scotian
population on an ongoing basis.
Data collection resulting from indicator development was explicitly
mandated to be from publicly available sources, and the information was
to be free or inexpensive to collect. The indicator collection process
will result in the creation of a health status indicators database,
which will provide provincial, national and international comparisons of
the health status of citizens of the Province of Nova Scotia.
As a result, the Health Council, in its role as advisor to the Nova
Scotia Government, will have on hand a large volume of information with
which to support the policy development process.
The Council has now completed the indicator development project, having
generated a total of 150 indicators on a wide variety of topics that
influence health. These indicators will serve as a basis for a series of
health status reports based on the life cycle. The first of these
reports will be released provincewide in early April, 2004.
The Council and the staff are very proud of the work we have
accomplished, and we hope you will take the time to examine our work.
The final determinants report will be posted to our website,
www.healthcouncil.ns.ca , in early February, after the final few
revisions are completed.
We would love to hear what you think of the project, and would be happy
to answer any questions anyone may have.

I realize some of you will have heard of this before, but since the
indicator work is now complete, I thought it was worth repeating.

David F. Mercer
Research & Statistical Officer
Nova Scotia Provincial Health Council
1888 Brunswick Street, Suite 301