SDOH Archives

Social Determinants of Health

SDOH@YORKU.CA

From:
Dennis Raphael <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 3 Nov 2022 19:58:52 +0000
Call for Proposed Titles in the Series: The Politics of Health

On behalf of Canadian Scholars Press Incorporated I am putting together a series of books – as series editor -- entitled The Politics of Health. Each volume will consider a key issue building upon themes of the welfare state, public policy, and the social determinants of health. The definition of politics will include aspects of political ideology, political parties, and the politics of everyday life.

The first volume in the series was the Politics of Health in the Canadian Welfare State by Toba Bryant and Dennis Raphael
The second volume in the series is the Politics of Dental Care by Carlos Quiñonez of the University of Toronto.
The third volume in the series will be Social, Ecological and Structural Determinants of Health in Canada by Elizabeth McGibbon of Saint Francis Xavier University.

The following section details our current thinking of book specifications:
•	The writing level should be pitched for 2nd-4th year undergrads; a way of saying a level that is accessible, without being too introductory.
•	The main market will be supplemental course use with some readership developing outside of this area (politicians, policymakers, interested parties, etc.).
•	There will be a traditional proposal and peer review process for these titles.
•	Consideration by CSPI is not necessarily a guarantee of publication.
•	Rough length guidelines:
o	Word count: 30,000-50,000
o	MS Page Count: approx. 128-190 pages
o	6 x 9 book page length: 120-170 pages (will vary depending on graphs and figures)
Please submit any ideas of interest you may have to me at [log in to unmask] and I will be back to you very quickly.

Proposal Submission

For the proposal stage of the books in this series, CSPI requires 1-2 sample chapters, a table of contents, and a very brief proposal (the author’s approach to the text and reasons why the work is important). Most of the other information usually requested in a proposal (length, audience, etc.) has already been set above.

A timeline of 6-8 months is available to put together the proposal.