SDOH Archives

Social Determinants of Health

SDOH@YORKU.CA

From:
Elaine Power <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 6 Feb 2024 09:05:14 -0500
I think it was the spring of 2021 that I began to realize how much of a political struggle it would be to implement basic income. Yes. I was definitely naive until that point. I forget which wave of the pandemic we were in, but public health was advocating for 10 paid sick days for all workers. Surely a “no-brainer” in the midst of a global pandemic. But no. A temporary allotment of 2 paid sick days in Ontario.

At that point, it occurred to me that if low-paid workers (e.g., Amazon warehouse workers, UBER drivers, fast food workers, etc, etc) without benefits like sick days had access to a basic income (like CERB) and could quit their poorly paid, possibly unsafe jobs where they are treated badly, and not have to worry about putting food on the table, then they would have higher wages, benefits, sick days, etc. And that is exactly why we don’t have basic income, and won’t have it anytime soon. It will be a major political struggle.

And as I write this, it occurs to me that maybe this is why so many Canadian unions (not in Europe) are resistant to endorsing BI or even seriously engaging the arguments… be/c perhaps they perceive it (needlessly) as a threat to their power. It seems that most unions have little-to-no regard for those who cannot work and will never be able to work — or who choose for whatever reasons to contribute to society outside market relations.

In 2022, Aric McBay and I published the attached article in a special issue of Canadian Food Studies on Just Food Futures:  “An Unconditional Basic Income is Necessary but Insufficient to Transition towards Just Food Futures.” I would say that similar arguments could be made for the transition to a just economy.

But for sure, it is a “chicken and egg” problem. We need BI so that ordinary people can live outside market relations and work towards creating a more just future and participating in political action … but our current governments and policy makers who are without a doubt “in the pockets of the corporate and business sector” will not be implementing one anytime soon.

It will be a major political struggle to create a more just society and economy.

Elaine