SDOH Archives

Social Determinants of Health

SDOH@YORKU.CA

From:
"Adam P. Coutts" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 13 Aug 2006 17:37:02 +0100
I think the statistic that one third of americans do not believe in
evolution may be explained by lack of procreatory behaviour. See paper
below.

http://www2.warwick.ac.uk/fac/soc/economics/staff/faculty/oswald/finalsentscanjsex04.pdf

Money, Sex and Happiness: An Empirical Study This paper studies the links
between income, sexual behavior and reported happiness. It uses recent data
on a sample of 16,000 adult Americans. The paper finds that sexual activity
enters strongly positively in happiness equations. Greater income does not
buy more sex, nor more sexual partners. Married people have more sex than
those who are single, divorced, widowed or separated. The
happiness-maximizing number of sexual partners in the previous year is
calculated to be 1. Highly educated females tend to have fewer sexual
partners. Homosexuality has no statistically significant effect on
happiness.

Detailed conclusions include the following: (i) The median American has
sexual intercourse 2-3 times a month (among people under 40 years of age,
the median amount of sex is once a week). Approximately 7% of the
population report having sex at least four times a week.

(ii) A third of American women over the age of 40 report they did not have
sexual intercourse in the previous year. The figure for men is 15%.

(iii) Homosexual and bisexual people make up 2%-3% of the United States
population.

(iv) There is some evidence that sex has disproportionately strong effects
on the happiness of highly educated people.

(v) The happiness-maximizing number of sexual partners in the previous year
is 1.

(vi) Homosexuality has no statistically significant effects on happiness.

(vii) Married people have more sex than those who are single, divorced,
widowed, or separated.

(viii) Highly educated females have fewer sexual partners.

(ix) Income has no clear effect. Money buys neither more sexual partners
nor more sex.