SDOH Archives

Social Determinants of Health

SDOH@YORKU.CA

From:
Dennis Raphael <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 12 May 2022 12:49:17 +0000
As sadly expected,  no media outlet will go near this.

Study: Food banks that partner with corporations may be perpetuating food insecurity
https://yfile.news.yorku.ca/2021/07/28/study-food-banks-that-partner-with-corporations-may-be-perpetuating-food-insecurity/

Please forward this (removing my introductory statement above) to your local news outlets.

Thanks!

Dennis

In the case of HFI and the importance of food banks, the Canadian public is constantly
messaged by the media, the food banks themselves, sports teams, businesses, and
schools of the importance of food banks with rather little to be said about the structural sources of HFI. As one example, the Canadian Broadcasting Company’s annual Sounds of the Season food raising initiative turns feeding the hungry into an entertainment
spectacle despite repeated pleas by food security advocates to stop such efforts (Canadian Broadcasting Company 2021):

"But we object to our national broadcaster helping to perpetuate the myth that if we all just  ‘pitch in’ for food banks, then we can ‘end hunger’. This comforting fable is a convenient smokescreen for government inaction on poverty and the intersecting gender, racist and ableist inequities that disproportionately keep women, BIPOC, and people with disabilities in poverty and food insecurity. These are problems that food bank donations can never fix." (Power et al.  2021)
In addition