SDOH Archives

Social Determinants of Health

SDOH@YORKU.CA

From:
Dennis Raphael <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 20 Jan 2023 13:23:26 +0000
When Years ago…
When years ago studying the workings of the Chicago wheat market
I suddenly understood how they manage the world’s cereal there
And at the same time did not understand it either laid the book down
I knew immediately you have got yourself into
An evil business.

I felt no embitterment and it wasn’t the injustice
That shocked me, but the thought
What they were doing there is intolerable, filled me entirely.

These people, I realized lived by the damage
They did to others and not by doing good.
This was a situation that could only be upheld
By crime, since for most it was too detrimental.
And so every achievement
Of reason, every invention or discovery
Will lead only to yet greater misery
These and similar things I thought at that moment
Far from rage or lamentation when I laid down the book
In which were described the wheat market and the stock exchange.of Chicago.

Much effort and trouble
Awaited me.

--- Bertolt Brecht, 1935

Dennis