SDOH Archives

Social Determinants of Health

SDOH@YORKU.CA

From:
Dennis Raphael <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 20 Jun 2022 13:58:01 +0000
From: Social Europe <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Monday, June 20, 2022 8:02 AM
To: Dennis Raphael
Subject: A blueprint for equality—ETUI-ETUC joint conference

Dear reader,

The case against inequality has already been strongly articulated. Inequality is not just incidental to a particular crisis but a  structural problem created by an economic model. Now is the time to
explore what real equality should look like.

[https://bucket.mlcdn.com/a/3152/3152602/images/6bd89b65acf554f6a82eed8639c8352e6a190ad8.png/93863adbacd9bbfbb98f2f1343f29d040a247800.png] <https://emails.socialeurope.eu/link/c/YT0xOTc2ODU3NDQzMjQ5OTUzNjc0JmM9ZDN4MCZlPTAmYj05ODQyNjI3NjcmZD1sMngwajFx.chZen0VV40tYpFlCcfCAztTaryM_MxmNOdh4grdNiVI>

As a result, as a media partner of the event, Social Europe is delighted to invite you to a 3-day conference (22-24 June) organised by our partners in the European Trade Union Institute (ETUI) and the European Trade Union Confederation (ETUC), entitled 'A blueprint for equality'.

Thomas Piketty, Professor at EHESS and at the Paris School of Economics, co-director of the World Inequality Lab & World Inequality Database, will deliver a keynote speech. But it will be also an opportunity to listen to, and debate with, more than 90 other speakers from the academic world, such as Isabelle Ferreras, Eloi Laurent, Kate Raworth, Tim Vlandas and Vivien Schmit, to name just a few. See the full programme<https://emails.socialeurope.eu/link/c/YT0xOTc2ODU3NDQzMjQ5OTUzNjc0JmM9ZDN4MCZlPTAmYj05ODQyNjI3NzYmZD1pOHY3bjV6.MiiRf50xCQFwDKtN4iij-Gz72MxsX2hXpHUNIj8aSsY>.

This impressive list of intellectuals will exchange their ideas with representatives of international institutions (European Commission, European Parliament, Eurofund, ILO, Eurofund, OECD), NGOs (Finance Watch, Oxfam, EIGE, EAPN) and trade union organisations (EPSU, UNI Europa, EFFAT, ITUC, ETUC, ETUI). Do not miss this event and register now<https://emails.socialeurope.eu/link/c/YT0xOTc2ODU3NDQzMjQ5OTUzNjc0JmM9ZDN4MCZlPTAmYj05ODQyNjI3OTQmZD1iMWE0dzJv.S5Mg_IWxqnBCzoGmq_I85cfuav0PQVCyHZniijc1Sp4>.

Location (hybrid conference): online or at Thon Hôtel EU—Rue de la Loi/ Wetstraat 75, 1040 Brussels. Interpretation: English, Frenc.

Background

This conference will take place in the shadow of the pandemic, which has generated new inequalities while exacerbating existing ones. It has also illustrated that inequalities make societies less resilient in the face of unexpected crises and rapid changes. Furthermore, in our efforts to deal with climate change, a crisis demanding swift action, inequalities are unsurprisingly emerging as one of our most exposed Achilles’ heels.

The 2021 issue of the ETUI’s Benchmarking Working Europe report<https://emails.socialeurope.eu/link/c/YT0xOTc2ODU3NDQzMjQ5OTUzNjc0JmM9ZDN4MCZlPTAmYj05ODQyNjI4MDImZD1jNWMwbjVl.Z2AJfyANBYejKvWYBfSqc6xXMZ6fd58XtoIFSOc2l7w> reviewed the many dimensions of the inequality problem in Europe. It argued that inequality is not just incidental to a particular crisis, but a structural problem created by an economic model which, for the past three decades, has progressively redistributed less and less wealth to the bottom percentiles of society while accumulating more and more at the top. Finally, it made the first steps towards identifying a range of policy actions which, with the necessary political will, could help to tackle inequalities.

This conference will seek to develop this inquiry further, by exploring in greater depth the effects and the root causes of inequality, and by identifying in greater detail the policies and institutions that have the power to render our societies more fair, resilient, sustainable and equal.

Register here<https://emails.socialeurope.eu/link/c/YT0xOTc2ODU3NDQzMjQ5OTUzNjc0JmM9ZDN4MCZlPTAmYj05ODQyNjI4NDMmZD1vOHUweTBy.LGLMoBlc1RBgTKfsfgAG86gL79O3phHuSPBZV6GSpBc>

Social Europe Publishing & Consulting GmbH

Ringstraße 47, Falkensee
Germany

You received this email because you signed up on our website or made a purchase from us.