SDOH Archives

Social Determinants of Health

SDOH@YORKU.CA

From:
Dennis Raphael <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 7 Feb 2023 22:11:55 +0000

From: OntarioHealthCoalition <[log in to unmask]> on behalf of Ontario Health Coalition via OntarioHealthCoalition <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Tuesday, February 7, 2023 2:44 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: [OHC] Video: Doug Ford Created the Status Quo & Just the Facts on Cataract Surgeries

Please share and distribute widely.

❓Doug Ford says the "status quo" isn't working. Doug Ford was a large part of CREATING the status quo. The facts. ⬇️
Ford's cuts to health care pre-pandemic. List of Cuts: https://www.ontariohealthcoalition.ca/index.php/update-mounting-health-care-cuts/

The Ford government underspent their COVID funding (8 of every 10 dollars in COVID funding came from the federal government).
In the pandemic, the Ford government underspent health care funding by billions. In the most recent year,
as our hospitals fell into the worst staffing crisis we’ve ever seen forcing almost 100 emergency closures across the province,
as well as a staffing crisis in long-term care and home care, the Ford government underspent on health care by almost a billion dollars.

[Thumbnail-QUO Wallet-Yellow.jpg]<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3FCFSeqdsog>
Watch & share our new video below
Click here or on the picture below.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3FCFSeqdsog
<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3FCFSeqdsog>

And please share it across all social media channels. Links can be found below.

Facebook: https://fb.watch/iynRHqSgo4/<https://fb.watch/iynRHqSgo4/>
Twitter: https://twitter.com/OntarioHealthC/status/1622998030772236290
Instagram: <https://www.instagram.com/reel/CoXkZxDgGFE/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link> https://www.instagram.com/reel/CoXkZxDgGFE/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link
TikTok: https://www.tiktok.com/@ontariohealthc/video/7197466812483718406
Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3FCFSeqdsog

JUST THE FACTS: CATARACT SURGERIES & OHIP COVERAGE
Cataract and intraocular lens exchange surgeries are covered under OHIP (public health care) which covers ALL medically necessary tests, the surgery and the lens for you.

[328888003_1255998111930369_8198848563652882049_n.png]

WHAT YOU CANNOT BE CHARGED
YOU CANNOT BE CHARGED FOR MEDICALLY NEEDED SURGERY, TESTS OR THE LENS.
Ontarians (& Canadians) are entitled to receive these services without charge regardless of whether it is in a hospital, doctor's office or private clinic.

DON'T BE TRICKED INTO PAYING
No money may be charged to the patient for medically necessary lenses, eye tests, or for other necessary add-ons to the insured services, such as premises, equipment, supplies and personnel that are required to provide the service.

A physician/clinic staff might try to sell you:

  *   lenses with features that are not medically necessary, such as multi-focal lenses
  *   tests that are not medically necessary

THESE ARE NOT NEEDED & YOU DO NOT HAVE TO BUY THEM

THEY WILL LIKELY TRY TO UPSELL YOU AN EYE MEASUREMENT TEST

Upsold eye measurement tests are not medically necessary. The evidence shows the OHIP test is comparable. It is good! No need to be manipulated into paying extra. The doctor must give you the option of receiving medically necessary tests & lenses without charge. It is law that patients have the right to informed consent without coercion & manipulation.

If you CHOOSE to pay extra for an unnecessary lens then they have to credit you for the necessary lens cost. Access to OHIP-covered cataract & lens exchange surgery & tests CANNOT be made conditional on paying extra for services such as eye tests/lenses.

BEWARE: research extra lenses with CREDIBLE sources (a for-profit clinic is NOT a credible source) to understand the risks & whether they work.

If you've been illegally charged for cataract surgery in Ontario please email us at [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>

--
We are proud of the difference we make and we hope you are too. This work is only made possible by people who care like you. Please do become a member or donate. It matters!
If you can, please CLICK HERE<http://www.ontariohealthcoalition.ca/index.php/donate-now/> to donate or become a member.

Ontario Health Coalition
15 Gervais Drive, Suite 201,
Toronto, ON M3C 1Y8