SDOH Archives

Social Determinants of Health

SDOH@YORKU.CA

From:
Neena Saxena <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 29 Nov 2004 10:25:26 -0600
The work we've done with our youth projects tell me this website is very
good.  The "stupid" idea is excellent -- it speaks to teens in their
language (not ours) and gets the point across (the point is not that people
who quit are stupid, but that tobacco related stuff is stupid, it's lingo,
like the word PHAT).  It's difficult to get youth involved or even
listening unless their language is used.  From the perspective of someone
who has worked on a few youth projects, this web site is excellent.  It may
not get youth to quit, but it will get them to read the material, because
of the style it's presented in, and that's half the battle.

Neena Saxena
Program Consultant - Consultante de programmes
Public Health Agency of Canada - Agence de sante publique du Canada
1920 Broad St., 18th Floor - 1920, rue Broad, 18e étage
Regina, SK   S4P 3V2
Ph:      306-780-6445
Fax - Télécopieur:    306-780-6207
EMail - Courriel:    [log in to unmask]

                      Terry Mitchel
                      <[log in to unmask]>         To:       [log in to unmask]
                      Sent by: Social          cc:
                      Determinants of          Subject:  Re: "Empowering" youth to not smoke
                      Health

                      2004-11-28 02:37
                      PM
                      Please respond to
                      Social
                      Determinants of
                      Health

I think it's hard to know to what extent this will be effective.  Keep in
mind we haven't seen the whole campaign.  Usually the components are meant
to be synergistic and reinforcing.  It is following some of the research I
have seen on what works with a teen audience.  The teens most likely to
start are those that Dennis keeps in front of our faces with this
listserve,
and risk-takers. Trying to get teens not to start, or to quit, if they
have,
is a tough sell.

So, if we're not going to seriously address the SDOH at a policy level,
what
do we try?  This is just another idea.
Terry