SDOH Archives

Social Determinants of Health

SDOH@YORKU.CA

From:
Dennis Raphael <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 19 Dec 2022 16:28:17 +0000
From: Russ Ford <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Monday, December 19, 2022 10:49 AM
To: Dennis Raphael
Subject: end of CHCs

Hi Dennis,

You may not be aware of this because it happened late last week, but the government is trying to eliminate the nonprofit sector, in all but name only, that receives health funding. This includes CHCs. They are merging the budgets of all members of the Ontario Health Teams into one; a hospital will likely control that. They are also determining the priorities of all the OHT members. So boards of nonprofits will be irrelevant. Their preferences have nothing to do with social determinants or health equity. It is like the pandemic never happened. They say they have consulted "experts" but decline to say who they are. I have attached the document, which details a highly centralized model. There is no public accountability. They have redesigned the healthcare system behind closed doors. They promise to consult in the future, so more "check off the box consultation." They will consult after they have made all the decisions.

I have just started organizing. At the moment, I have the support of the French language CHCs and the Aboriginal Health Access Centres and I believe support will also come from the Black Health Coalition.

Now, I am reaching out to people like yourself so that you can spread the word to those in your circle. We need to stop this bureaucratic power grab.