SDOH Archives

Social Determinants of Health

SDOH@YORKU.CA

From:
Dennis Raphael <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 23 Feb 2004 12:50:04 -0500
For information or materials for the April 3rd rally please contact me at
[log in to unmask] <mailto:[log in to unmask]> or at
416.516.6200

Please visit the OHC website at www.ontariohealthcoalition where you can
find the poster and other materials in downloadable PDF format
Thank you, in advance, for doing all you can to stop this threat to Public
Medicare.
In January the OHC held a press conference to let the media know that there
are more P3s in the works.  Under media questioning, Health Minister George
Smitherman admitted that there are more P3s in process as follows:
Oakville, Grimsby, Hamilton, 3 in Toronto, Markham-Stouffville, Uxbridge.
This means that in total, we now have up to 10 private (P3) hospitals in
the
works for Ontario.  We are concerned that every new hospital or hospital
redevelopment will be privatized in the same way.

The OHC has called a major march in Toronto for Saturday, April 3 at 12 pm
starting at Nathan Phillips Square, (meet at the corner of Queen and Bay
Streets at City Hall) up "hospital row" on University Avenue to Queen's
Park.  This is planned as a large event, and a very important one.  The
Liberal government has openly broken its election promises on this issue.
This public demonstration on the eve of the spring session of the
Legislature, will help pressure the government to keep its promises.

We are very concerned that the billions of dollars involved in these
projects will seriously damage the public health system for the next
generation or more.  It is critical for the future sustainability of all
our
health services that we shake the government off of this agenda.

We are asking organizations, community groups, city councils, and faith
communities from throughout Ontario to do the following:
 -    Please send out the information and materials to your
contacts (I have attached an email notice at the bottom of this email that
can be cut and pasted if you wish.)
 -    Post information about the April 3 Rally and the P3 issue on
your websites.
 -    Have a speaker promote the event at the next meeting of your
organization.
 -    Book a bus, van or carpool and come to the Rally (Form for
bus registration attached).  If you would like information on groups
planning to come to Toronto from your area, please contact me directly.

In Solidarity,
Christine Jones,
Ontario Out-reach Coordinator, April 3 Rally
Ontario Health Coalition

Ontario Health Coalition
15 Gervais Drive, Ste. 305
Toronto, ON M3C 1Y8
Tel: 416.441.2502 Fax: 416.441.4073
www.ontariohealthcoalition.ca

STOP THE PRIVATE HOSPITALS!

PUBLIC MARCH Against P3s (Private Hospitals)
Saturday April 3, 2004
Nathan Phillips Square, Toronto (corner Bay & Queen Sts, Queen Subway
Station)
NOON start

The Ontario Health Coalition is calling upon all healthcare workers,
activists, citizens  and those who care about the future of our health
system to:
March up Hospital Row to Queen's Park and Stop the first for-profit
hospitals since the inception of Medicare.
Ontario's government is considering seven more private P3 hospitals on top
of the Brampton & Ottawa privatizations.
They are moving closer to the signing of the Brampton & Ottawa deals.
They said they opposed hospital privatization and the "Americanization" of
our healthcare system.
Now they have reneged on their pre-election promises.