SDOH Archives

Social Determinants of Health

SDOH@YORKU.CA

From:
Sara Farrell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 9 Mar 2004 14:32:11 -0500
Has anyone looked at the use of food coupons with farmers' markets?  I know in New York they use them to increase people's access to fresh produce (plus the recipients have to attend an hour education session on the benefits of fruits and veggies and how to prepare).  What I'm wondering is what are the pros and cons of this strategy... are they affective in improving the recipient's nutritional status and access to food, are they an insult to low-income people?

Another question is about farmers' markets in low-income neighbourhoods.  Has anyone come across any research that supports their use as a means of community development?  From what I've heard it is almost impossible to have a farmers' market in a low income neighbourhood that is self-sustaining.    Do farmers' markets improve access and/or address food security issues in low-income/high risk neighbourhoods?

Your thoughts would be most appreciated.  thank you!
Sara

Sara Farrell, RN, BScN
Community Health Officer-North Region
Toronto Public Health
5100 Yonge Street, 2nd Fl
Toronto, M2N 5V7
416-338-0021

BEGIN:VCARD VERSION:2.1 X-GWTYPE:USER FN:Farrell, Sara N:Farrell;Sara TEL;WORK:416-338-0021 ORG:;Community & Neighbourhood Services TITLE:Community Health Officer EMAIL;WORK;PREF;NGW:[log in to unmask] END:VCARD