SDOH Archives

Social Determinants of Health

SDOH@YORKU.CA

From:
Laurel Rothman <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 27 Jan 2004 11:22:32 -0500
Hello Sarah,
Sorry for the late reply.  There is no actual determination of the cost of
raising a child in Canada.  The most precise tracking of this, widely
acknowledged, is done for Manitoba by MB Agriculture and Food.  See
http://www.gov.mb.ca/agriculture/homeec/cba28so2.html#three.  This data is
in easy to read format in Campaign 2000's report Diversity or Disparity:
Early Childhood Education and Care in Canada (ECEC), Second Report,
Community Indicators Project.  November, 2003.  It is on our website at
www.campaign2000.ca.

HRDC does an annual report on the CCTB and NCB that includes data on poverty
rates, depth of poverty and draws some conclusions.  It is widely
acknowledged that it is very difficult to evaluate the impact of the benefit
alone since there are many other factors that affect the reduction of child
poverty.  Have a look at our most recent report card on child poverty in
Canada (Nov. 2003)that identifies many of the labour market-related issues.

I am not sure I would characterize the National Council of Welfare as
government endorsed.  They are a citizen advisory body to the Minister.
Appointments are orders in council, I believe, and thus the individual
members could be described as endorsed.  However, they hold dear to their
ability to take an independent point of view on issues, including the CCTB
and NCB.

Laurel Rothman, Director
Community Building and Social Reform
  And National Coordinator, Campaign 2000