From:
Pat Gunning <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 12 Apr 2011 00:02:43 -0400
Regrettably, Sumitra, I was not as clear as I could have been.
Nevertheless, included in my email was the statement: "Not new models
but theorems about how individuals are likely to act in the presence of
various market conditions and market intervention is [are] needed."

I did not say and did not mean to say that ONLY the effects of
government intervention on economic calculation need to be studied. I
agree fully that errors under the condition of the absence of
intervention also need to be studied. And, before that, one needs to
make it clear what the absence of intervention means. In any case, the
focus should be on individuals' decision and errors. Smith had a good
reason for writing about the invisible hand. But if people make errors,
they may harm others; even in those cases where, if they had made the
correct decisions, others would have benefited.

Regarding the cause of the crisis, my statement referred to errors, not
to government intervention as the cause. The question is how to best
study why people make errors. I would put model-building, as most people
understand the term, at the bottom of my list of methods. And I would
welcome a statement by any list member about how the term model could be
employed to help in the study of errors under the conditions of
non-intervention and under the various interventions that might be relevant.

Regarding the role of errors in the global financial crises, you might
be interested in the following.

Gunning, J. Patrick, “Incentive Divergence and the Global Financial
Crisis.” In Steven Kates (ed.) Macroeconomic Theory and Its Failings:
Alternative Perspectives on the Global Financial Crisis. Northhampton,
MA: 2010.

I will send a draft of the article on request.

--
Pat Gunning
Professor of Economics