From:
Humberto Barreto <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 8 Apr 2011 14:41:17 -0400
I thought many on this list would find today's blog post by DeLong interesting:

http://delong.typepad.com/sdj/2011/04/thoughts-on-economics-education-in-america.html

DeLong writes:

"I suppose that I am still astonished at the failure of the financial
crisis and the Great Recession to bring about a sea-change in the
teaching of graduate macro. I expected people to say: we need to train
our stunts to know--we need to learn--what Reinhart and Rogoff know.
There is no point in turning out students who know the models of
Prescott who do not know the models of Say, Mill, Bagehot, Wicksell,
Fisher, Hicks, Metzler, Friedman, Tobin--Keynes. There has been only
one road-to-Damascus conversion among those who previously darkeneth
counsel without wisdom: Richard Posner--who admits to never having
read Keynes in the past-- finally did so, and says that he is now a
Keynesian."

--
Humberto Barreto