From:
Martin Zehr <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 15 Nov 2016 08:24:29 -0600
I'd recommend Michael Shelden's *Mark Twain: Man in White; The Grand
Adventure of His Final Years*, in conjunction with Ron Powers' great
one-volume biography.  Shelden's book is a great complement to Powers' bio,
in my opinion, because (1) the last decade of Twain's life is the weakest
part of Powers's book and (2) Shelden's very well-researched book provides
a detailed look at this period of Twain's life, when he was an
international celebrity, and a much different picture of Twain in this
period than depicted in prior scholarship, e.g., Hamlin Hill's *Mark Twain:
God's Fool.*
Martin Zehr