From:
Barbara Schmidt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 8 Oct 1999 14:58:32 -0500
A title correction on the Kelsey citation -- It should be _Drinking with
Twain_.  Unpaginated; privately published with the author's name as Laurel
O'Connor which I believe is a pseudonym for Laurabell Reed Connor.
Copyrighted by Frank Edward Kelsey in 1936.  The booklet appears to be
memoirs of Frank Kelsey who signs the booklet at the end.

The book has numerous factual errors (I think!) including giving Twain a
"half-brother" named H. L. Clemens who lived in Louisville, KY at Center
and Walnut Street.  "Klaproth" and Twain supposedly visited H. L. Clemens
and song composer William Shakspeare Hayes during the trip to Kentucky.

Kelsey's background is yet unclear, but I gather that in his later life he
might have worked as a company representative for OLD CROW. Is this memoir
the only documented basis for the OLD CROW ads as well as the source of the
misspelling in the ads??

Unfortunately, there is no mention of Twain's favorite scotch.

As to the SLC to Fuller correspondence on whiskey "mills":

One letter is online at:

http://www.tarleton.edu/~schmidt/19230709.html

The above letter is believed to have been misdated in the news release and
probably falls into the category with the following correspondence:

Fuller to SLC, 23 Feb 1880;
SLC to Fuller, 24 Feb 1880;
Clinton Furbish to Fuller, 21 Apr 1880;
SLC to Fuller, 22 Apr 1880