From:
Michael MacBride <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 1 Sep 2007 18:07:36 -0500
Greetings Forum,

In random searches I've become aware of Benjamin De Casseres' essay "When
Huck Finn went Highbrow" (1934), and the corresponding letter to Mrs. Foote
on December 2, 1887.  I have found a copy in a library that is a few hours
from my house, but before I traveled, I was hoping someone might let me know
if there's an electronic version of this that is available?  I've done the
usual searches (JSTOR, Worldcat, The Mark Twain Papers and Project,
Gutenberg, etc) and come up with little result.  The Berkeley site provides
the document number of the actual letter, but I don't see an easy way to
retrieve it electronically.  Unfortunately, due to the value of this book it
seems like few libraries are willing to loan it through the inter-library
loan system.

Thanks for your time and assistance,

Michael MacBride
Southern Illinois University, Carbondale