From:
Kurt Lawlor <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 20 May 1997 20:14:56 +0100
I would like to thank everyone for helping me in my curiosity.

Roger Durrett  (RWDTwain @aol.com) wrote

>That book must have been _The Adventures of Tom Sawyer_.  I wrote the
>first half of it in ''72, the rest of it in ''74.  My machinist type-copied
>book for me in ''74, so I concluded it was that one."  --
>                                               from "The First Writing
>Machines,"
>                                                 _Essays & Sketches of MT_,
>                                                  Barnes & Noble, 1995,
p.364.

Bill Bryson states in _Made in America_ p.115

He claimed in an autobigraphical note that it was _The Adventures of Tom
Sawyer_,
but his memory was faulty. It was in fact Life on the Mississippi.*

*Gies and Gies, The Ingenious Yankees, p. 311.

>From the many possibilities of whether SLC did or didn't use a
typemachine, for my
man Bill to say 'in fact' is a trifle previous.

        I am impressed by the statistics that the Paige machine generates,
umpteen
parts, most voluminous patent application , a nervous breakdown, the
passing of a
life not to mention bancruptcy.

        It has been a while since I delved into cross referencing 'facts' in
book.
The universe in a bibliography. Where to cry mark twain in a sea of
information?

        Apologies for the 'personal' nature of my comments,

        Regards   Kurt Lawlor