From:
Kevin Mac Donnell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 16 Apr 2015 11:01:07 -0500
I would like to add these comments to Barb's, and I do so with Susan
Bailey's explicit permission--

My offer was for up to three envelopes to be tested. The DNA test to be run
is for mtDNA, a type of DNA that is passed from mother to daughter virtually
unchanged from one generation to the next, so that any viable mtDNA from a
direct female ancestor would match every granddaughter, great-granddaughter,
etc. The first envelope tested --chosen because it was used to seal a letter
written by Clara to Ossip while Clara was traveling alone ca. 1916 and was
very likely sealed by Clara herself-- did not yield viable mtDNA. Either
there wasn't enough or she may have used a stamp sponge or the storage
conditions for that letter over the years were unfavorable. Each test for
mtDNA costs $2500. Some less-qualified labs charge less, and tests for other
kinds of DNA --paternity tests for example-- cost much less, but mtDNA is
what must be tested. and the best qualified labs charge $2500. I've offered
a second envelope for testing. It dates from ca 1960-61, a time when Clara
may not have been sealing her own envelopes (she had a devoted assistant and
a less devoted husband handy at the end of her life). This more recent
envelope contains a personal letter written by Clara and the envelope is
addressed in her hand, and after the flap was sealed she scribbled a PS on
the flap. The presence of that PS increases the odds that she sealed it
herself, but does not make it certain. The test would run $2500 , but there
is a risk that no viable mtDNA will be found, even though this letter was
stored under much better conditions than the earlier letter. It's also
possible that Clara used a stamp sponge, or that her husband or assistant
sealed it. So, after spending another $2500 on another mtDNA test the
results could prove Susan's case 100%, or yield no answer at all (it could
not disprove her maternity since we don't know who sealed the envelope). The
decision to run that test is Susan's alone and raising the money to run
another test is daunting, never mind the risk of more emotional stress from
another inconclusive result.

Kevin
@
Mac Donnell Rare Books