Date:
Mon, 22 Jan 1996 09:28:25 -0500
Ioram Melcer wrote:
> I'm new to this forum. After a very extensive ride in the internet maze, I
> ran into your list. I was looking for material regarding the 'lost' episode
> from Chapter 9 of Huck Finn. I am an Israeli writer working on an article
> for one of the major Israeli newspapers. My article will tell the readers
> something about the HF controversy over the years (from 1885 to 1995...),
> and also about the 'lost' episode. I read it in The New Yorker of July 3rd
> 1995 as you all must have done. Still, I was surprised to find no material
> about the text they published, neither in The New Yorker (I would have
> expected them to do more than kust give the text) nor in the Net. I
> downloaded this forum's material from 7/95 and 8/95, but again - nothing.
> - Why was the episode omitted? By whom?
> - What influence will it have on the HF debate in the US?
> - Where exactly does it fit in Chapter 9? It's not clear to me, at least.
> - Do you know of anyone having written about the discovery of this episode?

Ioram,

It's good to see someone look in the archives before posting a query.
Yes, we have discussed the lost _H. F._ material, but apparently not in
the months you searched, and we have not had any critical discussion as we
await the spring publication of _The Adventures of Huckleyberry Finn: A
Comprehensive Edition_, by Random House with "forward and supplementary
textual discussion by Prof. Victor Doyno, President of the Twain Circle".
More info is available from R.H.'s "At Random", a free magazine in
bookstores; or you might try [log in to unmask] (academic marketing).

Doyno, author of _Writing _Huck Finn_: Mark Twain's Creative Process_,
also plans a book on the "lost" portion, tentatively titled "Beginning to
Write _Huck Finn_".

thanks, and good luck,    larry marshburne      [log in to unmask]