From:
Sharon McCoy <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 9 May 2011 13:27:18 -0700
Thunder struck.  My deepest sympathies to Michael's wife Ann, and to all who
were his close friends.

Words fail, as they always do, but whenever I'm devastated, I turn to Twain's
words on the death of Jean.  They got me through my brother's death, and it
doesn't surprise me that Michael shared them--and the emotion they rouse--in the
classroom with his students.  He was never afraid of what matters, and he
embraced the things that truly matter.

The first time I met Michael personally was at the joint Mark Twain Circle /
American Humor Studies Association conference in New Orleans.  At one panel, I
listened in horror as a speaker presented what he said was a radical and
unprecedented theory, talking at warp speed, mostly cobbling together ideas that
had been argued better elsewhere, willfully misunderstanding and lambasting
Twain scholars,  some of whom (I don't think he realized) were in the room,
listening.  When the question and answer period came, I braced myself, but it
was Michael Kiskis who spoke up, with the quiet, soft voice I'm sure he used in
the classroom, leaving students straining for every word.

Michael gently commented on the one or two original parts of the presentation,
offering strong suggestions for pushing those ideas in a fruitful direction,
then listing off some of the pertinent work that might be helpful, and finally
suggesting quietly and specifically what the young man might find interesting
and useful in the scholarship --some of which the speaker had misread and
dismissed--but Michael graciously did not point that out.

The tone was set, a collective sigh was released, and the conference  moved on,
focusing on what mattered.  When I talked with Michael about it later,
expressing my appreciation for his tact and supportive grace, he said -- well,
any  number of people in the room could have shredded him, but what would have
been the point?  Fish in a barrel.  The challenge was in turning what was
interesting into something much more interesting.

A challenge we can all take up.

I'll be in Elmira for the next 6 days.  If there is anything I can do, I will.

Sharon