From:
Kent Rasmussen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 11 Apr 2003 17:46:38 -0400
Dennis, I remember hearing about that typewriter but unfortunately didn't
think to look for it while I was in the Enterprise building. I did see
something else interesting, however: Joe and Ellie Curtis have a sign on
the computer in their bookstore claiming that it's the same one that Sam
used when he worked in Virginia City. In view of Joe's skepticism about
certain aspects of the Enterprise building's "Mark Twain Museum," I'm
inclined to suspect that their sign is meant as a joke. (Moreover, I know
for a fact that Macintosh computers with color monitors were not available
in the 1860s). However, the Curtises assured me many that many people who
visit their store take the sign seriously.

While I'm on the subject of dubious claims ... while I was at the Mark
Twain Museum, I got into an argument with the fellow running place: He
claimed that Ossip Grabrilowitsch is buried on *top* of Mark Twain at
Elmira's Woodlawn Cemetery, while I insisted that Ossip's grave is at the
*foot* of Mark Twain's grave. I looked around the gift shop shelves for a
copy of MARK TWAIN A TO Z to make my point forcibly but couldn't find one,
so I instead had use a copy MARK TWAIN: HIS LIFE IN VIRGINIA CITY (by the
local Nobel Prize nominee George Williams III) to to bop him on the head.
Williams's book didn't make the same impression on the man as my own book
would have made, but I at least had the satisfaction of terminating his end
of the discussion.