From:
Dave Davis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 25 Nov 2018 12:48:57 -0500
OK, the first task was to track down the provenance of the remark, and to
assess it.

As to the trope, yes, certainly. Prevalent, and both white & black
Southerners are righty seen as enjoying the taste of a good watermelon.
They are pretty wonderful things.

As to the "thieving" side of the trope: A hungry and oppressed people
sometimes breaks the rules (the rules being set and enforced by the
dominant group). I'd also lift a chicken that wasn't roosting comfortably,
myself, if I were hungry.

Javert <https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000128/?ref_=tt_trv_qu>: Now Prisoner
24601, your time is up and your parole's begun. You know what that means?

Jean Valjean <https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0413168/?ref_=tt_trv_qu>: Yes, it
means I'm free.

Javert <https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000128/?ref_=tt_trv_qu>: No.

[hands him a yellow paper]

Javert <https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000128/?ref_=tt_trv_qu>: Follow to the
letter your itinerary, this badge of shame you wear until you die. It warns
that you're a dangerous man.

Jean Valjean <https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0413168/?ref_=tt_trv_qu>: I stole
a loaf of bread. My sisters child was close to death, and we were
starving...

Javert <https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000128/?ref_=tt_trv_qu>: And you will
starve again unless you learn the meaning of the law!

Jean Valjean <https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0413168/?ref_=tt_trv_qu>: I've
learnt the meaning of those nineteen years; a slave of the law.

Javert <https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000128/?ref_=tt_trv_qu>: Five years
for what you did. The rest because you tried to run, yes 24601...

Jean Valjean <https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0413168/?ref_=tt_trv_qu>: My name
is Jean Valjean!

Javert <https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000128/?ref_=tt_trv_qu>: And I'm
Javert! Do not forget my name. Do not forget me, 24601.
-- https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1707386/quotes