Date:
Tue, 29 Aug 1995 10:37:08 -0400
I recently bought a copy of Dennis Welland's THE LIFE AND TIMES OF MARK
TWAIN,
a coffee table book (NY: Crescent, 1991).  The last chapter, profusely
illustrated is called "Collectables" and shows the MT doll, the postage
stamp,
the china plate,cigar-box label, the Bass Ale ad, and other memorabilia.
Welland says "the authority on these is Mr. Nick Karanovich of Fort Wayne,
Indiana, and most of these illustrations have been kindly provided by him."
The ongoing discussion of flour sacks and other memorabilia prompted me to
share this tidbit.  Welland's book visually engaging and contains a readable
narrative for the hundreds of pictures.

Philip Leon
Dept of English, The Citadel.