From:
Peter Heck <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 12 Sep 2000 15:56:42 -0400
     On an 1895 visit to Missoula, Montana, Twain is reported to
have attended a story-telling session at Fort Missoula.
Supposedly the other old-timers wouldn't let him get a word in
edgewise, until at last he begged them to "Give me just one
chance." My source (an article on Missoula in American Heritage
magazine) reports that a photo of this event exists, taken from
behind Twain's back.
     As background for a novel in progress, I am would like to
find the original account of this session, and (if possible) get
a look at the photo. The biographies I have on hand (Paine,
Kaplan, Hoffman, et al) don't seem to record the incident. Can
anyone direct me to the source for this anecdote? And has anyone
got a suggestion where I might find the photo?

     Many thanks --
     Peter J. Heck