From:
robert a dagnall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 20 Aug 1993 09:39:10 MST
This reminds me of a "Men on Literature" sketch I saw on _In Living Color_
in which Blaine and Antoine were drooling over the title _Roughing It_.
Maybe they were onto something, there!

I'm curious about the evidence, especially item d), news articles making
light of the relationship between de Qull & Clemens. I can't claim deep
knowledge of 19th century journalistic style, but in what I have read I
don't remember ever coming across insinuations of homosexuality/bisexuality.
I wonder if this was a common editorial tactic?

I'd like to see those news articles, though I suppose I'll have to wait
until
I can read Hoffman's paper. Any idea where I can get a copy? Is it being
published?

Lastly, am I convinced? Hardly. Curious? Somewhat. But I'm more curious to
see how Hoffman constructs his argument than I am about Clemens' sexual
practices. Should I ever become a literary person, I hope scholars will
confine themselves to studying my pen, not my penis.

Robert Dagnall