Steve Courtney <[log in to unmask]>
Tue, 12 May 2020 11:01:37 +0000
Greetings, all!

As some of you know, ten years ago I called Barb Snedecor and asked permission to pillage the name of the wonderful Center for Mark Twain Studies lecture series, "The Trouble Begins at Eight," altering it slightly for the early-to-bed Hartford audience: "The Trouble Begins at 5:30."

In the past decade we've welcomed more than 90 speakers on subjects ranging from literary to historical to domestic (the corset lecture comes to mind) to odd ("Mark Twain versus Sherlock Holmes" comes to mind). We have remained hand-in-hand with Elmira, which now under Joe Lemak has provided important support for the series, for which we are heartily grateful.

Our Tenth Anniversary Spring series was blitzed by the emergency. We still hope for the fall, but meanwhile we are injecting the spirit of the series into a series of virtual programs, via Crowdcast, staring Thursday -- at 5:30. We call it "Trouble at Home."

We'll feature a live interview of about half an hour with Dr. Kerry Driscoll, Associate Editor at the Mark Twain Project, Professor Emeritus at the University of St. Joseph, trustee of The Mark Twain House and Museum, and recent historian of Mark Twain's thorny relationship with Native Americans in Mark Twain and the Indians. Kerry, long associated with, and an important figure at the museum, was our first speaker in the series in May 2010. I'll  be asking her about her current work at the Project and anything else that crosses our minds.

Again, Thursday, May 14, at 5:30 p.m. EDT. Here's the link for registration (it's free). Enjoy!

marktwainhouse.org/TroubleAtHome/Kerry<https://outlook.office.com/mail/search/id/marktwainhouse.org/TroubleAtHomeKerry>

All best,
Steve

Steve Courtney