From:
Scott Holmes <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 22 Nov 2023 11:04:40 -0800
I downloaded the Google Books pdf of Murray's Handbook for Travellers in
Syria and Palestine; 1858 but can find no reference to Kefr Hawar (using
as many spelling variations as I could think up).  Being a scanned pdf
from an old copy of the book, there may be problems with the character
string.  Does this quote of Kefr Hauwar come from a direct reading of
the handbook or is it derived from Ganzel's book (which I have not seen
but I did read the review by Louis Budd).  Mention of Dan De Quille
sheds new and significant light on the subject.  Baedeker, in his
"Palestine and Syria Handbook for Travelers", 1898 does note that Kefr
Hauwer was the usual stop for travelers between Damascus and Banias.
I've not looked at "Tent Life in the Holy Land" as I prefer to keep as
much subjectivism as possible limited to Twain.

--
/*Unaffiliated Geographer and Twain aficionado*/

Visit B. Scott Holmes <https://bscottholmes.com>
Twain's Geography <https://twainsgeography.com>