Sender: Mark Twain Forum <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Tue, 21 Aug 2012 19:28:55 -0400
Thanks, Barb.

That's a great tip.

I checked _www.twainquotes.com_ (http://www.twainquotes.com)   before I
posted my query
and came up empty-handed, which is part of the reason I
was skeptical.

Roger

In a message dated 8/21/2012 7:12:05 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

If one  wants to get a serious glimpse into how pervasive Mark Twain's
influence is  in today's culture, I suggest they subscribe to Google
news alerts and  Yahoo news alerts for the phrase "Mark Twain."  These
alerts are  emailed to you with links to the stories containing his
name each time a  search engine picks up a story.

I have subscribed to these alerts for a  number of years.   And they
come in daily, sometimes hourly,  often 4 or 5 times a day when the
search engines pick up a new story  regarding "Mark Twain."  These
stories range from the hits originating  with names of streets,
buildings, schools, civic organizations, teams, new  books, quotes
(authentic and attributed) used as introductory paragraphs in  news
stories, book reviews, entertainments, and the list goes on.  The  hits
multiply as newspapers and publications across the country copy  each
other's stories.  I don't know if the search engines are just  getting
better at finding these stories or if Twain is getting more  popular,
but this traffic in his name seems to have doubled in the last  few
years.

Barb