James Edstrom <[log in to unmask]>
Wed, 12 Jan 2011 13:10:08 -0800
I think no words are more powerful on this subject than those of Twain
himself.  Dan Beard, who illustrated several of Twain's books,
remembered the author's reaction to revisions of Tom Sawyer Abroad by
St. Nicholas Magazine (I quote here from "Note on the Text" in the
University of California Press's authoritative edition of Tom Sawyer
Abroad and Tom Sawyer, Detective, c1982, 189-90):

"When Mark read the proof he was exceedingly wroth and, entering the
sanctum sanctorum, the holy of holies, or the editorial department of
St. Nicholas, he shocked the gentle creatures and terrified the
associate editors by exclaiming, 'Any editor to whom I submit my
manuscripts has an undisputed right to delete anything to which he
objects but'--and his brows knit as he cried,--'God Almighty himself has
no right to put words in my mouth that I never used!'"

<-----Original Message----->

 	  	 From: Dan Davis [[log in to unmask]]
Sent: 1/11/2011 5:31:52 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Editorial by Ron Powers on the NewSouth HF; a request for a
defense

I didn't state any of that quoted text very well. Especially painful to
reread is the footnote. What was written playfully (my understanding
from
many of your posts was that Alan Gribben really IS an all-around good
guy)
reads as a hefty chunk of petty sarcasm. For that I apologize and will
try
to choose my words and phrasings more carefully in the future.

So let me try this again:

Dr. Gribben makes several key assertions in his introduction for which
no
supporting data is offered. While I realize that an introduction is not
dissertation, controversial assertions trigger higher expectations of
accountability. Some examples:

"As a notoriously commercial writer who watched for every opportunity to
enlarge the mass market for his works, [Twain] presumably would have
been
quick to adapt his language if he could have foreseen how today's
audiences
recoil at racial slurs in a culturally altered country." This
presumption is
a long leap. References to actions or statements supporting the
likelihood
of such a response would lend it more credibility.

"I invariably substituted the word "slave" for Twain's ubiquitous n-word
whenever I read any passages aloud. Students and audience members seemed
prefer this expedient, and I could detect a visible sense of relief each
time, as though a nagging problem with the text had been addressed." The
psychological and sociological factors driving these sorts of behaviors
is
complex and influenced by many factors. Were these factors considered? A
much larger question, though, is the basis upon which it was concluded
that
an audience's apparent favorable reaction to the expurgation of an
uncomfortable term is a valid basis upon which to make the decision to
expurgate it.

"Unquestionably both novels can be enjoyed just as deeply and
authentically
if readers are not obliged to confront the n-word on so many pages." I'm
not
aware of any evidence to support such a sweeping conclusion. I'm not
sure it
is even possible to design an experiment that could consistently and
objectively measure the relative depth and authenticity of a reader's
enjoyment across two versions of a text. Even if such could be devised,
it
is doubtful that "enjoyment" can legitimately be considered the intent
of
Twain's use of the n-word in the text.

"Consequently in this edition I have translated each usage of the n-word
read 'slave' instead, since the term 'slave' is closest in meaning and
implication." This is patently and demonstrably false, yet it is
presented
as an obvious, universally accepted fact. The n-word is a very specific
and
powerful epithet, while "slave" is a generic descriptor that, to my
knowledge, has never been commonly used as an epithet (or even an
appellation).*

Finally, my footnote was intended to stress the importance of addressing
the
problematic aspects of this decision independent of any consideration of
Alan Gribben's phenomenal credentials or his significant
accomplishments.
(After all, it's certainly not the first time the n-word substitution
question has been raised.) In my experience, though, this Is an easy
thing
to say but very difficult to do, since we are all vulnerable to "appeal
authority" logical fallacies, and many here know Dr. Gribben personally.
felt it was important to point out that an appeal to Dr. Gribben's
credentials, contributions, or character is not what I mean when I wish
for
a defense of his position.

* Any more detailed discussion of the significant dissimilarities
between
these two words would be quite lengthy, but the bottom line is that the
only
acceptable substitute for an epithet ("acceptable" meaning that there is
minimal loss or distortion of meaning) is another epithet with similar
semantic content (should one happen to exist). Obviously, such a
substitution isn't likely to resolve the objections that prompted the
search
for a substitute. A fairly succinct introduction to the relevant
linguistic
issues can be found in the first few sections of 'The Semantics of
Racial
Epithets' (http://www.ub.edu/logosbw/bw5/abstracts/Hom.pdf) by
Christopher
Hom.