From:
Harold Bush <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 2 Mar 2009 10:04:50 -0600
thanks again for the clarification -- yes, a common misconception.  I also
failed to point out --indeed, just recalled -- that there is a photo of the
church in Phipps's book MARK TWAIN'S RELIGION, p. 45.

There's a little known article by Garrison called "The Comstock of MT,"
which argues that it is significant that MT maintained such ties to church
in Nevada, which at that time was "the most secular place in America."
(perhaps not unlike today??)  i.e. it would have been the perfect place for
him NOT to stay attached/inclined toward Christianity.  I find Garrison's
point compelling.

Personally, of all the evidence against this common misconception, I have
always been struck by MT's strong attachments to pastors of real, authentic,
learned, and "muscular" faith throughout his life-- including Nevada and San
Francisco.  The people we like to hang out with, says a lot about who we
are.  (what does this say about Twain-folk??)

--

Harold K. Bush, Ph.D
Saint Louis University