From:
Steve Courtney <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 7 Dec 2020 12:07:22 +0000
Greetings!
I’m in the awkward position of hoping you’ll tune in to a Mark Twain House virtual event which is highlighted by a picture of me, but like the Trinitarian deity, it’s really a three-in-one deal.
On Wednesday, December 9, at 5:30 p.m. I will be chatting with Assistant Curator Mallory Howard on the paperback publication of The Letters of Mark Twain and Joseph Hopkins Twichell, which some may recall came out a couple of years ago in hardcover. Now it’s cheaper, and Christmas is coming!
And as I mentioned, it’s the work of three: Pete Messent, who guided it editorially through two complicated versions and wrote the invaluable accompanying text; Hal Bush, whose idea it was in the first place and who transcribed the bulk of the letters; and me, who joined in later to supply some footnotes and biographical info. Each of us came to an interest in the Twain-Twichell friendship from entirely different directions, which I think provided a good mix!
Mallory Howard is a delightful human being to chat with about anything – as well as being a curator and scholar she is the person at the Mark Twain House who comes closest to Mark’s skills at storytelling. I’ll also be reading from a few of the funny, moving, argumentative and affectionate missives that make up this collection – “Two friends talking,” as Hal Holbrook expressed it in his cover blurb.
It’s part of “The Trouble Begins at 5:30” series, which celebrates its tenth anniversary this year. To register for Wednesday evening’s free virtual event, follow this link:
https://marktwainhouse.org/event/trouble-begins-steve-courtney-on-twain-twichell-letters/
Best,
Steve

Steve Courtney, Curatorial Volunteer
The Mark Twain House & Museum
351 Farmington Avenue
Hartford, Connecticut 06105
860-302-8969

Even though The Mark Twain House & Museum is temporarily closed to the public, we are still offering many online programs. Visit our website<https://marktwainhouse.org/> for virtual programming, and the most up-to-date information on all things Mark Twain House & Museum.  If you are able, consider making a donation<https://ci.ovationtix.com/35359/store/donations/>.