From:
Hal Bush <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 25 Nov 2018 16:21:29 +0000
I'd mention that  it's interesting that Huck Finn "borrowed" melons too; and that the cultural history of the watermelon trope is associated with Jim Crow long before 1901:

https://www.theatlantic.com/national/archive/2014/12/how-watermelons-became-a-racist-trope/383529/

[https://cdn.theatlantic.com/assets/media/img/mt/2018/01/lead_large-4/facebook.jpg?1522683760]<https://www.theatlantic.com/national/archive/2014/12/how-watermelons-became-a-racist-trope/383529/>

How Watermelons Became a Racist Trope - The Atlantic<https://www.theatlantic.com/national/archive/2014/12/how-watermelons-became-a-racist-trope/383529/>
www.theatlantic.com
While mainstream-media figures deride these instances of racism, or at least racial insensitivity, another conversation takes place on Twitter feeds and comment boards: What, many ask, does a ...

Dr. Hal Bush

Dept. of English

Saint Louis University

314-977-3616