Date:
Tue, 19 Apr 1994 11:42:15 CDT

One question I have always been curious about:  where does
Twain come up with his famous "Sand Belt," where Hank
Morgan has it out with the Arthurian knights?  Is there such
a local in England Twain may have visited?  Are there sandy
areas in the interior of England close to caves?  For that
matter are there caves in southern England?  Can anyone help
with any criticism of the sand belt?  I do not believe there
is a reference in the California/Iowa edition of Yankee.  Even
guesses would be helpful and interesting here.

Yours,
Michael O'Conner