From:
Mallory Howard <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 20 Aug 2020 15:45:10 +0000
Hello,

I was wondering if anyone had any information regarding a possible visit from Booker T. Washington to SLC while he was living in the Hartford house.
I was digging around not too long ago and read an article in JSTOR titled, "Tributes to Mark Twain" published in the North American Review in 1910.
One of the entries was from Washington who mentioned, "It was my privilege to know the late Samuel L. Clemens for a number of years. The first time I met him was at his home in Hartford."
However, in Washington's book Up from Slavery he notes that the first time he met SLC was in England in the 1890s.I checked a couple resources and found no mention of a visit to the MTH.
Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Best,
Mallory Howard
Assistant Curator
The Mark Twain House & Museum