From:
randall maple <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 14 Dec 2007 19:57:47 -0800
I do realize the bold, if not arrogant, attempt in
"knowing" what Twain's motives were.  Yet, I cannot
help but think he wanted his readers to know and
therefore it is possible to get beyond our
predilections.  Is it possible he made so many
"miscalculations" and false starts because he hoped it
would stimulate the reader to delve further into what
he was saying?  After twenty years of studying his
writings it has come to my attention that when the
meaning of the words he used is paid attention to,
instead of our preconceived notions, a whole world
opens and his motive becomes concretized and singular.
 When Howells predicted Twain would one day be
venerated along with the greatest writers of all time,
it seems he knew something beyond the mere copy.  It
is time for a new scholarship or at least fresh eyes
and both can be gifted when one falls in love with the
word.  Interestingly the word "love" means "nothing"
while at same time meaning "God."  It also states, "we
had a perfect love of a sounding boat.-Mark Twain."
Boat is "split," the vary definition of "twain," and
"the practice of making a boat by hollowing out a tree
trunk."  When looking up the word "code" it begins,
"split block of wood, trunk of a tree."  The word
"caber" follows, "young trunk of a tree" and "rafter."
What a "caper," huh?  As someone much wiser than we
mere mortals once said (paraphrased), "if humor is to
last forever, it must teach and preach."  Will we who
lay claim for the love of this genius lay our cap and
bells aside long enough to be humbled and recognize we
too are of the human race?  Race is "the course of
life."