From:
NICK HUFFMAN <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 8 Dec 2004 14:33:08 -0500
Most of the time, I just lurk here and learn.  However, when you say
something in regards to high school, the radar in the teacher goes off.
I have taught in high school for thirty-six year, the bulk of the time
dealing with American literature.  Many times I have taught Huck Finn in
high school in South Carolina, where many of my students have been
black.  I have NEVER had a problem with my black students or their
parents.  I have always taught my students to read literature from the
perspective of the time period in which it was written.  It has worked
for me.  I deal with the issues in Huck Finn  without making them an
issue.  I find tolerance among young people usually far superior to
tolerance among adults.

Nick Huffman