From:
Tracy Wuster <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 1 Nov 2012 11:05:43 -0500
Hello all,

As Harold mentioned, we had a poll last year at "Humor in America" about
who should win the prize.  The nominations were taken from the conversation
on this list about who should have won (I agree that Carol Burnett and
others would be good additions, but I went with those who had been
"nominated" by the conversation).  You can see the poll (and vote) here:

http://humorinamerica.wordpress.com/2011/11/02/the-mark-twain-prize/

It seems like the award given by the Boyhood Home to Hal Holbrook is more
in line with what people imagine a "Mark Twain Award" to be--a lifetime
achievement award rather than an award for cultural impact, however that
might be defined.  Here is that information:

http://humorinamerica.wordpress.com/2012/05/17/humor-awards-season-continues-hal-holbrook-wins-mark-twain-lifetime-achievement-award/

Does anyone know if there is a plan to make this award a regular thing?

As for other awards, there is also the "Charlie Award," given by the AHSA:

http://americanhumorstudiesassociation.wordpress.com/conference/charlie-award/

The award has been given to Hamlin Hill, Henry Nash Smith, Lou Budd (the
first three winners).  While it has been awhile since the award was given
out, we at the AHSA hope to revive it.  Stay tuned.

Best,

Tracy Wuster

P.s. did you see Sharon McCoy's essay on satire this week in response to
Jeffrey Melton's earlier piece?  Of interest to Twain scholars:

http://humorinamerica.wordpress.com/2012/10/30/embracing-the-ambiguity-of-satire/

http://humorinamerica.wordpress.com/2012/02/07/teaching-the-irony-of-satire-ironically/