From:
"Martin D. Zehr" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 22 Sep 2009 18:27:53 +0000
-------------- Original message from Steve Hoffman <[log in to unmask]>: --------------

A late response to Steve Hoffman's remarks re: the "evasion" chapters of AHF.  The great flaw of these latter chapters, to me at least, is that they require more than a passing familiarity of the historical events of the years during which Twain wrote the novel (1876-83).  The first is the election of Rutherford Hayes in 1876, thanks to the shenanigans of Florida electors and a deal in the House of Representatives to withdraw Federal troops from the southern states in return for his election over Sam Tilden, the popular vote winner.  This marks the official end of Reconstruction, and the hastening of the Jim Crow era, which Twain witnessed, first-hand, to his great dismay, during the trip he took down the Mississippi in conjunction with the writing of Life on the Mississippi.   The "re-enslavement" of Jim, after the implicit promise of his freedom and in the context of his technical "free" status, is, I think, Twain's comment on what he sees happening before his eyes in his own country.  For a more eloquent expression of this hypothesis, read Toni Morrison's introductory remarks in the Oxford edition of AHF, the 1996 edition edited by Shelley Fishkin.  Morrison, in my opinion, hits the nail on the head regarding this point, without which the ending of AHF may seem like so much "surplusage."
martin zehr
kansas city, missouri