From:
Ian Strathcarron <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 19 Jul 2011 08:36:30 +0100
This is rather an obscure request but maybe someone knows…

I was lunching at The Players in Gramercy Park, New York in May and my host showed me the Mark Twain memorabilia, including library references and his pool cue laid across the top of his portrait in The Grill.

The Players was inspired by the Garrick Club in London and there is indeed a direct resemblance one to the other. Mark Twain spent so much time in London and as a founding member of The Players – and as The Players and the Garrick are still reciprocal clubs – and as the Garrick has the best billiard room in London – it seems inconceivable that he did not visit there. When I asked the Garrick’s enthusiastic young librarian if he had any Mark Twain references he replied, no, but until he started the archives were not very well…ordered…and he is now actively classifying them.

I said I would ask the experts, hence this request….are there are references to Mark Twain and the Garrick Club, London, that I could pass on to the enthusiastic young librarian?

Thanks if you can help

Ian

Lord Strathcarron
s/y Vasco da Gama