From:
James Caron <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 30 Apr 1999 10:28:46 -1000
More details on Charles F. Browne in Nevada as part of his western tour:

His visit to Virginia City happened during December of 1863.  He stayed
for nearly two weeks and made the Territorial Enterprise his headquarters
during his stay.  To say Browne was convivial apparently is to put it
mildly, and his tendency to party fit in well enough with habits of the
Enterprise staff, including Joe Goodman, for more than one night.  And
after all, Virginia City in 1863 was THE boom town in the west, so Browne
spread himself accordingly. One reminiscence (can't remember off hand if
it was Goodman or not but he does have a published item on Artemus Ward)
claims that Browne would help write up the day's news and editorials so
that he and the boys could get out on the town as soon as possible.

The one riotous night referred to is probably the one narrated by William
Wright (Dan DeQuille) where Clemens and Wright and Browne (possibly with
others), visit hurdy gurdy dance halls, dance and drink as needed, and
then on the way home decide to walk on the roofs of the buildings they are
passing (Virginia City climbed up Mt. Davidson somewhat steeply, so this
feat was easily accomplished, even for men soaked in brandy, supposedly
Browne's favorite beverage).  The danger with the stunt was not falling
off so much as one of the town's armed watchmen, who challenged the
roofwalkers and had to be convinced it was all right--it was just that
splendid bon homme and lecturer Artemus Ward. As day dawns Browne is still
going strong with an apostrophe to the rising sun, but Sam Clemens has
fallen asleep on a barrel just in front of a store.

I don't believe I have strayed very far from the perpendicular facts here,
but I don't have my sources at hand..... If anyone cares, I can dig them
up for a later posting.

Jim Caron