From:
Gregg Camfield <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 9 Sep 2009 16:54:30 -0700
 “The town was short of money and it was proposed to discontinue the common schools.  At a meeting where the scheme was being discussed, and old farmer got up and said, "Every time you stop a school, you will have to build a jail. What you gain at one end you lose at the other. It's like feeding a dog on his own tail. It won't fatten the dog.”  (quoted by Paul Fatout, _Mark Twain Speaking_)

Responding to the thread here, rather than to the _American Scholar_ article, Wes's joke about it being "too bad" that someone wishes to major in English is part of the problem. We see fads in education just as we see fads in clothing.  Nearly everyone nowadays SAYS that there are no jobs for English majors, so that Psychology (the second most popular B.A. right now behind business) is better, but a major survey in 2005 (if memory serves) of income for B.A.s in various majors had English majors in the middle third of the pack, psych near the bottom.  English is still very popular at elite colleges and universities, substantially because, as has long been the case, it's a great track into law (there's no better preparation for the LSAT than learning to understand poetry!).

But what starts a fad?  When we look at community colleges and other public colleges and universities that serve populations of students whose parents did not attend college (as is the case with the univeristy that employs me), the exposure these students have to both writing and literature has been in high school, and the understaffed, underfunded, underappreciated public high schools do not do a good job of inspiring students to care about literature.  Instead, they have to teach to tests that put a premium on functional, or mechanical reading, the kind of reading that can be assessed in a commercially prepared, standardized multiple choice test.  (Some testing companies even use computers to read student essays!).

I went through public primary and secondary schools in the sixties and seventies, when they had a captive labor pool of bright women and had decent budgets.  Even then, the politically attenuated, overly tested reading curriculum was stultifying. (Anyone else suffer through IBM's "SRA" reading program?) I discovered reading outside of school because I come from a bookish family (every summer, my electrician grandfather taught me how to wire a house and recite Shakespeare--I can still wire a house.  When he moved his family from Chicago to Denver to help relieve my grandmother's asthma, he dubbed the first house they rented "offal court.").  Without that advantage, I doubt I would ever have cared about literature.  And if I had to attend the schools my children attend, I'd actively hate reading anything.

Of course Wes is correct that adjunct faculty are treated poorly.  That's the rising tide of underfunding, over-testing, and exploitation that primary and secondary schools have already experienced.  I think many of my tenure-rank colleagues are so desparately afraid of losing status that they are shutting their eyes to the plight of their adjunct faculty colleagues.  Then, too, those of us who care find that we have little time to help considering that the cuts in tenure-line faculty mean that there IS too much committee work to do.

If America is becoming illiterate, it's getting what it pays for.

Gregg