From:
"Harold K. Bush" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 17 Jan 2002 18:01:46 -0600
I thought the film was terrific.  I was quite moved by several parts.
Like one of the LIST-folk, I cried about the pain he felt when his
family died before he did.  And the treatment of "A True Story" was
great.  Many regular folk do not know about Twain's support of African
American causes--despite the darker side on these issues, as Stephen
Railton pointed out.

Like some of the scholars, there are omissions.  Yes, all true.  I
wonder, however, about the overall effect of the film -- and the
audience.

Frankly, much of the steam is over the Ken Burns phenomenon itself.  I
am rather interested in the typical scholarly scorn for all things Ken
Burns.  The New York Times excoriated Burns for the "pathos" of the
film;  but for me it was some of the best and truest stuff presented.

Why are so many intellectuals and academics so mad at Ken Burns?  just
wondering. . .