From:
Crawford Steve <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 25 Jul 2008 12:47:02 +0300
Hi folks,

I am interested in locating published academic biographical resources
for Twain that focus on his early youth. I have the Paine
autobiography, and there are many incidental references and
connections made to Twain's youth both in his own hand and by others
across the years. I am specifically interested in texts focused before
1860, and these seem to be somewhat rare.

Forrest G. Robinson's "brief" biography in "A Historical Guide to Mark
Twain" (Fisher Fishkin, ed.) is quite good. Ron Power's "Mark Twain, A
Life" has some good stuff about the very early years. I also have on
order Power's "Dangerous Water: A Biography of the Boy Who Became Mark
Twain," as well as Fisher Fishkin's "Was Huck Black" and "Lighting Out
For the Territory: Reflections on Mark Twain and American Culture."
Also on order is Albert Stone's "The Innocent Eye: Childhood in Mark
Twain's Imagination."

I am very appreciative of any references to essays, articles, books or
other materials focused on Twain's very early years.

Thanks much for your help!

Steve Crawford

Kulttuuriala, School of Cultural Studies
Jyväskylän ammattikorkeakoulu
Jyväskylä University of Applied Sciences
Pitkäkatu 18-22, FI-40700 Jyväskylä
FINLAND
www.jamk.fi