From:
Stephen Railton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 23 Mar 2000 12:49:58 -0500
Thanks, Kevin, for that list.  We've had the sections of *Facts, By a
Woman* that treats selling Mark Twain door-to-door in California up in the
site *Mark Twain in His Times* for a couple years, but I didn't know about
the other two books.  If I can track them down, I'll try to add them to
*Facts.*  And thanks, Barbara, for finding out more about who "A Woman"
was.  There's a copy of the book in the Barrett Collection here at U.Va.,
but no identification of the author.  Unless someone in the Forum thinks
there is any reason to doubt the identification, I'll add the information
as "probable" to the site, and pass it on to our cataloguer.
If you want to read the excerpt from *Facts,* its in *Mark Twain in His
Times* (http://etext.lib.virginia.edu/railton) under the category
"Marketing Twain."  It's very readable, and a good reminder of how
complicated were the motives that 19th century Americans had for buying
Twain's books.  Stephen Railton