From:
Kevin Mac Donnell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 1 Feb 2011 16:17:07 -0600
The book Twain gave Barrie was later given by Barrie to somebody else and it
is now at Yale. There is no "Sarah Findlay" --that was the name Barrie used
to hide the identity of the original owner of the book. The original
inscription is from a father to his two sons in 1885. So, it seems likely
that Twain wanted to give Barrie a copy of the first edition for some
reason, and not having a spare handy, found a used copy in a
bookshop --which would explain perhaps why Twain's inscription draws
attention to the previous ownership inscription rather than ignoring it.

Anyone reading the 1917 booklet and examining the surviving book at Yale
would figure out this much, but I've deliberately left out a few interesting
details since it is possible that the person who is researching this subject
may wish to publish a full version of the story at some point. If they wish
to share more information with the list, it's up to them.

Kevin
@
Mac Donnell Rare Books
9307 Glenlake Drive